Monday, July 23, 2007

و لا بالمحبين مثلي

unread piles of papers remain untouched

that they became part of the furniture.

One of my worst habits is that I cannot easily finish reading a book. The books I have in my little library.. however I just can't finish reading any. I mean I did finish reading some, but life is a bitch. Long ago I used to have the time but I got easily bored and couldn't commit myself to do one thing. I had almost 2 years of practically doing nothing with my life.. and now that I've got a demanding time-consuming job... I regret every little minute I wasted not reading, not writing, not keeping in touch with old friends, not having any of the fun that I desperately need now.

I guess that I am better reading encyclopedias though. I've got many encyclopedias in addition to encyclopediac books in terms of content. I read on wikipedia almost anything and everything.. I click on "random article" and start reading. I remember long time ago when I would be looking for something in my father's old books, I'd accidently stop by an interesting line and read it and the line after... and thus forgetting what I was looking for in the first place when I realize I had a different reason for being there. I could spend hours doing that.

Dictionaries too, these days dictionaries are as interesting as encyclopedia if you're a big fan. I read an old copy of the American Heritage dictionary.. probably an early 80s edition or late 70s. The dictionary of literary terms is fun to read too.. its like a pocket literary encyclopedia... in your pocket.. like a pocketbook. But slightly bigger than a pocketbook; but relatively similar in size.
In relation to other pocketbooks.
Books are rottening by my bedside.. and I can't do anything about it. However I'm doing good reading "My Name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk.

I bought a book a couple of months ago. Its supposed to be in Arabic but its printed left to right; you rarely read a coherent sentence just jumbled words with lots of terrible spelling mistakes. I do not mention grammar for it does not exist there. However... the book is meant to document the massacres the PKK have committed against innocent defenseless Turkish villagers. Its mostly pictures of burned, deformed bodies or remains of bodies.
The beauty lies in the ability to see the human behind all deformities challenging everything to be simply human. It might be sick to some; but to me its sick to admire such pictures for the idea that they have been killed this way. To me I see it as a way to look into the vulnerability of the human kind; to see how extreme evil to contrast it with beauty.

I would've loved to share some pictures but I decided it wouldn't be appropriate... I wanted to though to show you how every dead body had one human look that is just soooooo human. They all looked up.

As much as it breaks my heart to watch war documentaries; as much as I like watching them for this idea. I love observing the "human" in every aspect.

I bought a book from Dar Dawoud for 250 fils. It was an old copy of a novel by Naguib Mahfouz... So I thought it might be the first edition of this novel. I was so excited, I got back home to check.. and true. The novel was published in the 40s under a title... then published again in 1953 under a different title. Thus I do have an antique book... to an extent. I'm thinking I should sell it on eBay.. but I'm attached to it already. I never let go of my father's old book... appreciating their value. Although I could get good money out of them.
I told almost everybody I know about this great find..






Dhahi bin Wulaid (1895 - 1941) ضاحي بن وليد


قالت وصالك
لا
فلا
عندي مُحال

ما يطيعو يبيحوني أهلي



غير لا يفهم أبوي و أهلي ذا المقال





شايهمّو بقتلك و قتلي؟







18 Comments:

Blogger White Wings said...

i will give you 5 kd for Mahfouz's book :)
Arabic book left to right? that's really interesting, I would love to see it..
and you read dictionaries for fun?? sir, you need help :)

2:27 PM  
Blogger antihero said...

I'll hold onto the novel for sometime... if my children are to value books and antiques in general.. they'll appreciate it.. if they're desperately in need of money.. they'll appreciate it too :P

I don't read dictionaries for fun.. its what you reach after months of boredom... when you start looking at dictionaries differently!

wanna know something weirder? I have sticky notes next to my PC just in case I come across an interesting word that I might want to use some day.. right now I'm looking at "inure" :D

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom would love you. She is a big fan of dictionaries. I don't really know what's the fun of it. But, I guess it's interesting to learn some new words every now and then.

I love reading. Yet, I have some troubles in buying a good book. So when a friend wanted to give me a gift, I always ask for a book (just not Arabic). :)

Happy reading! :P

10:41 PM  
Blogger Navy Girl said...

could it be that your just jealous meny :P that I started to write over here lol :P

dude don’t worry about reading .. I believe that if your soo much interested in the book you will finish it before you even know it .. I got this book that I was reading for a whole year ! can you believe this ?? the story was dull like hell .. but I read this another book .. very cool one I like it very much in one month only !! you go figure !

5:16 AM  
Blogger antihero said...

sara shuaibi
I like buying books as presents. Books first.. if i know that person is a very good reader and might have that book.. i choose music for those who appreciate classical music... if none then i just buy them dinner.. good enough :P

navy girl
I remember taking almost a year to reading some novel which was great but still dull. Now however I don't start a novel I can't finish.. books .. okay.. novels no.

:D

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I won't refuse any of your presents just in case you're thinking of getting one for me. :P *LOL* Just kidding... :D

4:48 PM  
Blogger Reem said...

heeeeey!! u r back!!
DO NOT SELL THE BOOK!!! for the love of God!

i take ages to finish a book.. and i read more than one book at the same time, which is kinda confusing :S

i love flippin through dictionaries too! interesting!!
hmmmm sick people.. amuse u huh? yeah well i understand ;p

feel better sweety!!

8:52 AM  
Blogger antihero said...

sara shuaibi
Testahlain :D what kinda book would you like to get?

reem

not only does it take long.. I guess the karma is punishing me now for not finishing this novel.. I just realized I lost my copy of "My Name is Red" :(

2:07 AM  
Blogger Deema said...

well, i am raised in a library!
my father have a HUGE private library at home.
but only me and my father had inhabited the place!

it is more like a sanctuary to me, and my father used to tell me that he acted with the books as real people..! sounds queer but with a second thought they are.

an ironic version of this image was viewed by me at harvad bookshop,
when a drunk man came and sat infront of the biography section -where usually have a cover page with a portraite- and then started to talk with those people !

and about the dictionaries, well i love Oxford the old one with lots of explanations about the word..

and back about the library, i always thought if i will ever do any decisions regarding it, i would prepare it and classify it and i will be ever wishing for a discussion night in our house. it sounds like a fairy tale.. but i do wish so..

i went to dar ildowood once :) my hands got an old book and it appeared to be (bsa6 ilree7) i was amazed! :D

and the problem i face in reading a book, is that i read the paragraph for like an hour, i just can't finish my thoughts about it!

2:52 AM  
Blogger White Wings said...

weird but amazing :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger antihero said...

deema

Me too. My father has a very big library filled with old and fascinating books of history, literature, religion and all fields of "humanities". And in different languages as well which intrigued me to read. I love reading into etymology; the origin of words; its interesting to know the history of everything. Gives a new perspective into what it is.

If my books are real people then I should be executed after a coup d'etat from my book nation; they're pretty oppressed like the israelites in ancient egypt. I have books I use as costers, and others are piled in a way to form a new piece of furniture in my room. My father would always yell at me for that... but bah :P

I'd love to classify my library too but i'm too lazy. And I don't find it neccessary at this moment. But maybe later.

I've been in book discussions and book groups both arabic and English; its great, you should try it.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Deema said...

heh:P
same here :D books forming mountains, the library that is in my room is tidy, and full :S
so i have nowhere to put the mountains around me :S

and about the book discussions, oh i should! Where is that?!

o 3ala 6ary maktabat ildowood, have you passed by the national library right next to it !!
the weirdest library i've ever seen

1:08 PM  
Blogger antihero said...

deema

if you're really interested I'll keep you posted through your email about our meetings. Its a Kuwait university students group.
Let me know if you're interested :)

Never been to that library... I don't much like public libraries.. its very... depressing for some strange reason. But I've been tempted to go there.. how weird is it? and how? :D

11:35 AM  
Blogger Deema said...

well i am ! but i think i will be more free after my graduation, (if not more busy) :P that's why i only stick with al-maidan cultural centre for it is not so demanding you only attend an hour every monday :)
anyways i may give it a shot if i got some free time every now and then :)
please do keep me notified here is my e-mail: rain_130@hotmail.com

about the library, it is not aaat all like what you saw in KUWAITI public libraries :P

it is extremely something else... y o u should go and be shocked.

and you should go within this year coz they're building a new one..
............
i wish to pass by al babtain library someday it looks enviting!

4:04 PM  
Blogger antihero said...

deema

aha.. so its that kind of library.. then you'll love al-babtain. I was amongst the staff accompanying the guests of honor in the opening of the library.. actually we were only interpreters.. and of not much use.. but good thing we witnessed the opening of such a great place :D
I won't spoil it for you... its an amazing library.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Deema said...

yeah my friends told me so,i actually passed by everywhere around it in the city, so i have to surrender someday :P

i think you in much use than the guests :P you are interpreters, you rule the scene :P


inshallah i will ! :D

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the late reply. I hope you didn't change your mind about getting me a book. :P Anything in English would do. ;P~

2:58 AM  
Blogger antihero said...

cece

just give me the address and your present will be on your doorstep by next week :D

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home